Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Portuguese Chicken

Portuguese Chicken with tomatoes, cipolline onions, roasted red peppers and prosciutto ham


This dish is based on a recipe in the current issue of Bon Appetit.
I started with one whole chicken cut into pieces.
The chicken pieces were coated one at a time in a mixture of 1 cup flour, 1 tlbs + 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 1/2 tsp salt and a 1/2 teaspoon pepper.


I sauted the chicken in olive oil in large skillet and then placed them in a large pot.
I poured 2 cans of diced tomatoes with the juices over the chicken.




I hope you have one of these gadgets to open those stubborn jars in your kitchen.





I chop 4 oz of prosciutto
and 2 large roasted red peppers
and add to the pot.





Next I blanch a small bag of cipolline onions
in boiling water for 1 minute
which makes them easy to peel,
and add them to the pot.















I add 6 large garlic cloves, pressed
4 flat parsley sprigs
4 bay leaves, bruised

The recipe called for 1/2 cup of port wine and 1/2 cup of white wine neither of which I had.
I added 1 cup of sweet red vermouth to the skillet to deglaze it.
I whisked in 1 tlbs Dijon mustard and 1 tlbs tomato paste.
I poured this mixture over the chicken and brought the pot to a boil.
Then covered and into the oven for a couple of hours until the chicken was very tender.





I set a nice table.



Note the snow piled up against the window.






I placed the chicken and toppings onto a serving platter.
I simmered the remaining sauce in the pot until it thickened a little and then spooned some of it over the chicken.









I served it with a nice bowl of boiled carrots
and accompanied it with a loaf
of crusty chiabatti bread
served with a spanish olive oil and balsamic vinegar
for dipping.
Bon Appetit!










No comments: