Monday, September 27, 2010

Baking Bread

In my last blog I announced that I was going to teach myself to be a baker.
My first attempt at baking bread didn't turn out too well,
so here I go again.
First I call up the recipe for whole wheat bread on my little kitchen computer.
I assemble the ingredients:
whole wheat flower
brown sugar
warm water
dry yeast
powdered milk
salt
oil,
and of course my new mixer with a dough hook.

the yeast is proofed with warm water and brown sugar
and added to the dry ingredients.
Additional flour, 1/2 cup at a time and the oil is added to the mixing bowl with the dough hook running.

The dough is placed in a greased bowl and allowed to rise in a warm draft free place, in this case, my unheated oven.
Here is the dough after the first rising.




I punch the dough down, divide it, and roll it out to form two rolls.




This is the dough after a second rise.
I need to find out how to cause it to rise higher.







This is the finished product.





As you can see the slices are small
but delicious!







I will keep trying.






1 comment:

Bob in Santa Ysabel said...

Fresh bread is worth the effort. Keep trying and become a pro!