Monday, September 22, 2008

Flashback - All things Spanish


I have been corresponding with my friend Miguel from Andalusia, Spain for about a year on the internet. We enjoy frequent video calls where we have been sharing different aspects of our respective cultures and households.


I have immersered my self in "all things Spanish". I am reading novels, history, travel essays, and poetry all related to Spain. I listen to Spanish music and have been studying the history of the flamenco and of bull fighting. I have even been trying to learn to speak Spanish, although unsucessful thus far.



Miguel lives on a finca (farm) in the mountains not far from Malaga on the Costa del Sol and he owns and operates two supermarkets. He is also involved in local politics serving on a city council. As you can imagine, we have many fascinating conversations.



A few months ago, with Miguel's encouragement I attempted to serve an "authentic" Spanish meal to Mary and Ed. The menu consisted of chicken cooked in a spicy red pepper sauce, yellow Spanish rice, fried cauliflower with garlic and a bottle of red Spanish wine.


I think it went quite well as evidenced by the pictures below.













No comments: