Thursday, September 25, 2008

Valencian Paella




This is a description of my first attempt at making the Spanish dish, paella. This is a variation of the classic Valencian paella. I say a variation because I did not have any rabbit or snails which are called for in the classic recipe. I have substituted chorizo sausage.




This is what Anya von Bremzen says about Valencian Paella in her book, The New Spanish Table. "Once the Valencian paella police recite to you the recipe for the one and only true paella valenciana with rabbit and snails, they usually relent and admit that there are as many paellas as there are cooks and that the definition, ingredients, and technique vary every five miles in Valencia province alone."




This is my new paella pan.






First I assembled the ingredients;



Chicken, sausage, chicken stock, rice, garlic, salt, saffron, spanish paprika, green beans, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.








I grate two large ripe tomatoes.







I crush eight cloves of garlic.







I pulverize a few threads of saffron.







I set a pot of chicken stock to simmer and add the saffron.














I cook the chicken and sausage in olive oil






Add artichoke hearts and green beans and cook.












Push the vegetables and meat to the side and briefly cook garlic in center of pan. Add the grated tomatoes and cook until reduced and thickened.
Blend the sauce with the meat and vegetables, add the rice and chicken stock. Cook 5-7 minutes.













Finish in the oven.











Serve to good friends, in this instance to Mary and Ed.






For background music we listened to Antonio De Lucena's disc, titled Guitarra Classica Espanola, sent to me from Spain by my good friend Miguel.



I have to practice this dish a few more times before it is totally satisfactory to me.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love all the pictures you put on your post