Friday, October 24, 2008

Tortilla de patatas

In the United States we think of a tortilla as a type of thin, unleavened flat bread, made from finely ground maize. I have recently discovered the Spanish tortilla de patatas which is an omelette made with eggs and fried potatoes. I like to make a simple omelet with eggs and herbs for a light supper. The tortilla de patatas is a nice alternative.



Someday, perhaps, I will be able to make the tortilla as shown above, but for now this is how I make one just enough for me.



I start by thinly slicing one yukon gold potato and frying it in olive oil.




While the potatoes cook I break two fresh eggs in a bowl, salt them, and whisk them with a fork.








When the potatoes are cooked I drain them of almost all of the oil and add the beaten eggs. Some recipes call for onions, garlic, and/or diced peppers but tonight I added just a few pieces of cooked ham. I cook the eggs and potatoes until the eggs have set.




I then invert a plate over the pan and turn the pan over so the tortilla is upside down on the plate.




I slip the tortilla back into the pan and cook for a few more minutes.





Finally I invert my plate over the pan and turn the tortilla onto the serving plate.

It may not be as well formed as the tortilla pictured at the top but it makes a delicious light supper.















No comments: